- 00:00 – Introduction
- 03:44 – Free-for-All (Rockin’ in Prague)
- 25:53 – Main Topic (Luther on Music)
On episode ONE HUNDRED AND SIX of Let the Bird Fly! Mike sits down with Dr. Jeremy Zima once again; this time to discuss Martin Luther on Music. Before getting to the main topic, though, Mike asks Dr. Zima to discuss his recent trip to Europe….with his rock band (well, he says a country band, but whatever). That’s right, Dr. Zima’s not just a professor, he’s also an INTERNATIONAL rock star! But don’t let this rock star fool you, he’s also a music historian (is there anything this guy doesn’t do?). It’s hard to overestimate the role of music in the Reformation, and in this episdoe Dr. Zima makes that abundantly clear.
A big thanks to Dr. Zima for joining us again!
Books mentioned in this episode:
- “Luther’s Liturgical Music” by Robin Leaver.
- “Luther on Music: Paradigms of Praise” by Carl Schalk.
- “Singing the Resurrection” by Erin Lambert.
- “Worship Wars in Early Lutheranism” by Jospeh Herl.
If you’re interested in joining Wade and Mike at the 2019 Here We Still Stand conference in San Diego, head over there now to see if there are still tickets available (but hurry, this will sell out). And if you do sign up, remember to use the promo code PNET19 to save $25 off your registration.
Let the Bird Fly! is supported by the 1517 Podcast Network, which is part of 1517.org. If you haven’t done so yet, stop over there and check out the other great podcasts in the network, as well as all of the other excellent content they offer.
And as always, if you are enjoying the show, please subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, or TuneIn Radio. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. You can also follow our Telegram Channel, where we post our new episodes as well as other content that we think you might enjoy. And, of course, share us with a friend or two!
Thanks for listening!
Attributions for Music used in this Episode:
- “The Last One” by Jahzzar is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 International License.
- “Gib laut” by Dirk Becker is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) 3.0 International License.
- “Whistling Down the Road” by Silent Partner.
- “Not Drunk” by The Joy Drops is licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International License.
- IMAGE: “Luther im Kreise seiner Familie musizierend” by Gustav Spangenberg, which is in the public domain.