- 00:00 – Introduction
- 02:57 – Scripture Narrative (Matthew 24:4-14)
- 08:12 – Main Topic (Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up?)
On episode TWENTY-EIGHT of Let the Bird Fly! the guys welcome the ever-patient Rev. Dr. Matthew Richard. If you’re a regular listener, you may recall that on Episode 26 we tried to discuss Dr. Richard’s book with him on that episode, but technology would not cooperate. We are extremely grateful for pastor Richard’s patience and understanding; and we’re thrilled that we were finally able to get him on the show. We think you’ll be pretty happy about it too!
Wade starts us off on this episode discussing Matthew 24:4-14, before getting to the main topic. You may notice that we skip the free-for-all in this one, but we think you’ll appreciate that extra time we spend discussing Dr. Richard’s recently published book Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up? Twelve False Christs. In his book, Dr. Richard walks through twelve different false Christs that different people have presented to him throughout his ministry. As Dr. Richard says, each of these could be seen as a type of idol, that seeks to displace the real Jesus. The book is written for a lay audience and is very conducive to a study group setting. Through his narratives and explanations, Dr. Richard provides the reader with an honest account of these various errors, while the same time offering a thoroughly pastoral approach to confronting these false christs.
If you are diggin’ this show, we’re confident you’re going to like this book. In fact, we’re so confident that we want to give away a free copy to one lucky listener! It’s been a while since we did a book giveaway, and this book is too good to pass up the opportunity. For all the information go to our BOOK GIVEAWAY PAGE and register to win.
Even if you’re sure that you’ll win the book, order a copy to share with a friend (or your pastor). Dr. Richard has also provided a number of resources to go with the book, so order a copy and check out these great resources. Here are the relevant links:
- Order a copy of the book (and download a free chapter right away)
- Learn more about the book
- Check out the free online course designed for the book
- Download the “CHEAT-SHEET” chart (this is the one that the guys reference in the episode)
And if you’d like more information on Dr. Richard, you can find out about him, his church, and what’s he’s up to, follow these links:
Thanks again to Rev. Dr. Matthew Richard for taking the time to talk with us about his new book. We enjoyed reading the book and were thrilled to get the chance to talk with him about it.
And finally, if you’re looking for more information on the Nain Lecture Series that was mentioned on the previous episode, you can find it here. If you’re in the Milwaukee area, come and hear Drs. Johnston and Berg present on Christian Freedom and Christian Vocation. The lectures are Saturday, October 14th, 2017 from 3:30 – 5:30.
As always, if you are enjoying the show, please subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or TuneIn Radio. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. And, of course, share us with a friend or two!
Thanks for listening!
Attributions for Music Used in this Episode:
- “The Last One” by Jahzzar is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 International License.
- “Horses to Water” by Topher Mohr and Alex Elena
- “Gib laut” by Dirk Becker is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) 3.0 International License.
- “Whistling Down the Road” by Silent Partner
- “Not Drunk” by The Joy Drops is licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International License.