- 00:00 – Introduction
- 03:16 – Free-for-All (Pick one super power)
- 16:16 – Main Topic (The Guys Get Sci-Fi)
On episode EIGHTY-FIVE of Let the Bird Fly! the guys welcome Dr. Joel Davis, who teaches chemistry at Wisconsin Lutheran College. But instead of talking science with Dr. Davis (they hope to do that next time he’s on), they talk Science Fiction. Dr. Davis’ interest in science, however, is not unrelated to his interest in science fiction (as he mentions in the episode); but if you’re looking for some cold, hard chemistry, you’ll have to wait. In the meantime, we hope you’ll enjoy our discussion about science fiction and the space it creates for us to look back at ourselves. If you don’t skip over the Free-for-All, though, you’ll have to suffer through us discussing our choice super powers….spoiler alert, Wade’s first choice is already taken.
As there were a number of books referenced in this episode, here’s at least a partial list for anyone interested:
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech by Franklin Foer
- The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr
Let the Bird Fly! is supported by the 1517 Podcast Network, which is part of 1517.org. If you haven’t done so yet, stop over there and check out the other great podcasts in the network, as well as all of the other excellent content they offer.
And as always, if you are enjoying the show, please subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, or TuneIn Radio. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. You can also follow our Telegram Channel, where we post our new episodes as well as other content that we think you might enjoy. And, of course, share us with a friend or two!
Thanks for listening!
Attributions for Music used in this Episode:
- “The Last One” by Jahzzar is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 International License.
- “Gib laut” by Dirk Becker is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) 3.0 International License.
- “Whistling Down the Road” by Silent Partner
- “Not Drunk” by The Joy Drops is licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International License.