- 00:00 – Introduction
- 11:16 – Scripture Narrative (Romans 6)
- 13:24 – Free-for-All (Wrap-up of the NFL Season)
- 28:13 – Main Topic (Simul iustus et peccator)
On episode FORTY-FOUR of Let the Bird Fly! the guys are all back together for the first time in a while and they take the opportunity to discuss a topic that they’ve talked about talking about for quite some time; namely, “the simul” (or simul iustus et peccator). The simul refers to the paradoxical situation in which Christians find themselves as simultaneously lost to sin (peccator) and fully redeemed by the work of Christ (iustus). In English this is often translated as: “at the same time sinner and saint.” This episode serves as a something of a second pass at the Law & Gospel episode that the guys did a number of episodes back. (If you haven’t listened to that episode yet, we’d definitely recommend doing so.)
Peter was kind enough to invite the guys and their families over to Mike’s house to record this episode (after a nice meal, of course), so a number of the Let the Bird Fly! children join the guys for the introduction. Wade, forgetting to prepare a Scripture Narrative for this episode, simply reads a portion of Romans 6, with almost no commentary whatsoever before they guys wrap up their thoughts on the NFL season in the Free-for-All. When they do make it to the main topic, though, the guys find that they have quite a bit to say (alright, they knew that going in, but seriously, this is a long one…we hope you can make it through). The conversation (aided by a few beverages) is free-wheeling, but we hope you find it interesting and thought-provoking. If you are able to make it through and have any thoughts or questions, be sure to share with us on Facebook or via email.
And, if you’d like to watch the chapel devotions given by Wade and Mike, which are referenced in the episode, you can find Wade’s here, and you can see Mike in his finest vestments (along with his much ballyhooed hand-gestures) right here.
And as always, if you are enjoying the show, please subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or TuneIn Radio. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. And, of course, share us with a friend or two!
Thanks for listening!
Attributions for Music Used in this Episode:
- “The Last One” by Jahzzar is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 International License.
- “Horses to Water” by Topher Mohr and Alex Elena
- “Gib laut” by Dirk Becker is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) 3.0 International License.
- “Whistling Down the Road” by Silent Partner
- “Not Drunk” by The Joy Drops is licensed under an Attribution 4.0 International License.